- 1 (8-oz.) package elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- Prepare pasta according to package directions. Keep warm.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-low heat; whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened. Remove from heat. Stir in salt, black and red pepper, 1 cup shredded cheese, and cooked pasta.
- Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased 2-qt. baking dish; top with remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until bubbly. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
To me it’s all about the pasta. I like to use Montebello Organic Conchiglia Pasta. You can also double the recipe for leftovers.